Search This Blog

Monday, November 3, 2014

A Tomato Pesto Burrata Tart for a Pickle Tasting Party


It's not every day that you are invited to a pickle tasting party, is it? I have been to wine tastings, beer tastings, scotch tastings and even chocolate tastings but this past weekend, my blogging buddy, Mom Who Runs invited Shack and I to her home to taste pickles. She and I had talked pickles quite a bit and she knew that we are all mad for them and knew we would not say no.

She asked me to bring something that would pair nicely with pickles and I drew a blank. I was thinking I could bring a bag of hamburgers or something or perhaps a pound of smoked meat, a loaf of rye bread and a case of Cott's Black Cherry Coke? 

I think a mild cheese goes with pickles and I had a ball of Trader Joe's burrata burning a hole through my fridge door. I also had a bag of Le Grand Garden Pesto that I was dying to try and, as luck would have it, a box of baby kale in the fridge, a few yellow and red small tomatoes and a chunk of red onion.  Most of my best inventions come from a peruse of what needs to used up asap in my fridge and this tart was no exception. It might have been born out of happenstance but it was delicious and I wouldn't change a thing.

If you want to be able to make stuff like this on the fly, you must also make sure you always have at least one roll of puff pastry in the freezer at all times. Frozen puff pastry turns almost anything into a fancy pants, show stopper of a treat and it has saved my life more than once.

Oh, and if you are interested, the Nathan's Full Sour Pickles were the clear winner of the tasting, with the half sours coming in second.








Tomato, Pesto Burrata Tart

this recipe is not about exact measurements and, in fact, the beautify of it is that you can throw it together with bits of this and that you find in your fridge

makes approx 6 3" square portions


1 sheet of puff pastry thawed
1 egg, lightly beaten
freshly grated parmesan
approx 130 g baby kale
a glug of olive oil
1 clove garlic
kosher salt
4 or 5 small tomatoes
1/4 red onion, sliced very thin
a ball of burrata
pesto (I used Le Grand Garden Pesto)


Heat a frying pan over med heat and add a glug of olive oil. Saute the garlic for a minute and then throw in the baby kale, a pinch of salt and cook til wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.

Slice the tomatoes into thin slices and put aside.

Heat the oven to 425F

I used PC puff pastry because it comes already rolled into a perfect, thin square, wrapped in parchment. All I have to do is thaw it, unroll it and place it, on it's own parchment, on a baking sheet.

Use a fork to prick the puff pastry, leaving a small edge all the way around, unpricked. Brush the whole thing with some of the beaten egg. Pop it in the oven and cook for ten minutes.



Take the pastry out of the oven and grate a thin layer of parmesan all over the whole thing. Now, lay your kale out and spread it out evenly over the puff pastry. Now, lay the tomatoes out and scatter the red onions over the top. Bake for another ten minutes. Now, turn the broiler on and broil just for a couple of minutes until you see the edges of the onion start to brown up a bit.

Remove from the oven, sprinkle another pinch of kosher salt over it and immediately grate another thin layer of parmesan over the whole thing. Let it cool for 5 minutes.


Now, rip apart the ball of burrata and place those hunks over the tart and finish the whole thing with a drizzle of pesto.

It's great warm or at room temperature.